The main idea for kids: Decorate two rocks to use as candleholders to help us welcome Shabbat.
Recommended age: 4+
- Rocks found outside
- Crayola Fabric Broad Line Markers (they work on rocks too!)
- Paint, optional
- Mr. Mole’s Sticky Wax Candle Adhesive
- Beeswax candles
- Find two medium rocks with at least one flat side. Wash and dry them.
- Place on a sheet of newspaper on a flat work surface.
- Shabbat is partly about resting from school and work. What colors and pictures seem Shabbat-like to you?
- Use the fabric markers to draw a pattern on the rocks. Colors may change while drying. Use paint to add additional decorations to the rocks (let paint dry thoroughly).
- Place rocks on a sheet of foil or in a dish so they lay flat and put a pea-sized amount of sticky wax adhesive on the bottom of each candle.
- Attach the candles to the tops of your rocks.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles. Adults should make sure the candles are securely mounted on the rocks.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.