The main idea for kids: Create a miniature indoor garden to gather around as a family when we welcome Shabbat.
Recommended age: 3+
- Rocks and pebbles found outside
- Wide, flat-bottomed dish with a brim, like a pie pan
- Mr. Mole’s Sticky Wax Candle Adhesive
- Beeswax candles
- Find two handfuls of rocks and pebbles that you like and wash and dry them.
- Arrange the stones in a pattern in the bottom of the wide, flat-bottomed dish. Place a pea-sized amount of sticky wax adhesive on the bottom of each candle.
- Stick the candles to the bottom of the dish or to large, flat rocks. Fill the dish with a quarter-inch of water.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
- After you light the candles, you can watch their reflection shimmering on the water.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles. Adults should make sure the candles are securely mounted in the middle of the dish.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.