The main idea for kids: Create four beautiful candles to brighten Shabbat.
Recommended age: 3+
- Four sheets beeswax (makes four candles)
- One two-foot length cotton wick
- Child safety scissors
- Place beeswax sheet on clean, flat work surface and trim to a 5”x 5” square. Save the trimmings! Soften the beeswax by running a hairdryer over it for a few seconds.
- Cut wick to same length as beeswax square, plus the length of your pinky finger.
- Lay wax flat and place wick on one side so that it covers the length of the wax and sticks out on top; roll the wax around the wick.
- Make thin wax strips in different colors, or select from your pile of trimmed pieces. Press and attach them to your candle.
- Use your own candlesticks as the base, or choose from the projects “Shabbat Rocks,” “Shabbat in a Jar” or “Shabbat Reflection Garden” to create your own candle base.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles. As a safety precaution, we also recommend placing a large sheet of foil or a baking sheet underneath the candles.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.